Thursday, June 23, 2011

Notes From Leogane No. 13: The Hospital


Dear Family and Friends:

You can't spend three months at Hopital Sainte Croix and not recognize that it is a place with an important history, a different present, and a future with renewed promise. 

When you walk through the floors of the three story wing currently undergoing renovation, you get a glimpse of all of the medical specialties that once were available at the zenith of the hospital's service to the community.  In 1985, the Haitian Ministry of Health had designated Hopital Sainte Croix as the official health authority for the Leogane commune.

When walking the halls of the first floor under renovation, the now fading signage bears witness to grander days at Sainte Croix.  There once were separate departments or wards for OB/GYN and delivery, pediatrics, orthopedics and neurology.  There was an eye surgery center, a dental clinic, a surgical wing, and of course general medicine facilities.  There were 120 beds for hospitalized patients.  

Those days have been replaced with a scaled down hospital, with approximately 27 hospital beds.  But there is a vision for Sainte Croix's return to its place as a major hospital facility in the Leogane region and for that matter all of Haiti.

Before I arrived in Leogane, I had thought that the hospital was closed because of the earthquake.  I have learned that Sainte Croix had been closed for more than a year before January 12, 2010.  I have heard several versions of the reasons for the hospital's closing, none of which seem particularly important at this time, now that Sainte Croix is back in operation with a new Medical Director, Dr. Gladys Memnon, and with major financial support for a substantial expansion of the hospital.

I've attached a graphic diagram of the architect's rendering of the new hospital buildings, as well as the new school and church.  As reported in a newsletter by The Rivermont Presbyterian Church in July 2010:

"A plan to rebuild the entire hospital compound has been prepared by Jimmy Hite, the architect who designed the nursing school.  This program will cost about $12 million, funded by a group from the Pittsburgh area through Medical Benevolence Foundation (MBF)[, affiliated with Presbyterian Church USA,] and will rebuild the hospital, a guest house, and other hospital related buildings, as well as the school, the church, et cetera.

The most exciting news is the appointment of a hospital director, Dr. Gladys Memnon.  She is a Haitian American physician.  She has been working at the hospital for the last several months, and is a lady who is full of energy, determination, and grit.  After retiring from her practice of OB/GYN [, in Brooklyn, NY,] she returned to Haiti and for several months was sleeping in a tent in back of the chapel and providing leadership for outpatient clinics in that area."

Hopital Sainte Croix reopened after the earthquake in September 2010.  Attached is a photograph at the hospital's re-dedication ceremony last September.  Dr. Memnon is shown with the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti, Jean Zache Duracin, and John Talbird, an Episcopal priest from Tennessee, who used to be the Chairman of the hospital's Board of Directors. (Rev. Talbird, along with Dr. Bob Sloane and Dr. Emilie Hitron are the reason I was asked to come to Sainte Croix for three months.)

At present, Hopital Sainte Croix operates an out-patient clinic that may see as many as 200 patients in a day.  Patients begin arriving around 6:00 a.m., in anticipation of the clinic's opening at 7:30 a.m. There also is an emergency room.  The ER physician, Dr. Samuels, resides at the Guesthouse Sunday nights (he's on call) through Friday afternoons, and then spends most weekends in Port-au-Prince.  He received his medical training in Havana, Cuba. 

Because my Spanish still is better than my Kreyol - though that may change - Dr. Samuels and I switch back and forth between Kreyol and Spanish, sometimes within a sentence, when we try to converse. 

Minor surgeries are performed at Sainte Croix, but major surgeries, such as orthopedic and neurological surgeries, are performed up the road at the Doctors Without Borders hospital.  Though there are plans to return to delivering babies at the hospital, high risk deliveries currently are performed by Medecins Sans Frontieres.  Regular deliveries, including C-Sections, are performed by Dr. Delson and another Haitian physician in Leogane.

Attached are some photographs of the hospital I took this morning: the Lobby, the main hallway leading to wards for in-hospital patients, and one of the surgery salons. The interior of the hospital looked a bit different the morning of May 1st.

The chocolate syrupy flood water residue you see in these photographs resulted from three days of rain that announced the beginning of the rainy season.  Photographs 0103 and 0107 were taken toward the end of the first of two days of an "all hands on deck" clean-up, with me, Madame Bellevue and Tipanyol lending a hand to doctors, nurses, and non-medical staff of the hospital.

During the two day clean-up, I had the opportunity to spend some time pushing flood waters along side of Dr. Belanger, the resident surgeon at Sainte Croix (shown in scrubs). He is one of the most sincere and personable professionals I have ever had the privilege to meet. 

The member of the hospital staff I will miss most, however, is Ty Ty, the head of security. We met the day I arrived at Sainte Croix, as Bob Sloane took me on a tour of the hospital.  Ty Ty has been my hospital guardian angel, so to speak.  He has helped me out of more than one bad spot.  And, on several occasions this month, he has arrived just in time to take over restoring electricity to the Guesthouse, after the circuit breakers started acting up and restoring power was no longer a simple matter of my throwing two switches, as had been the standard routine in April and May.




Two weeks ago I thought I might have electrocuted Ty Ty.  I think I have mentioned before that I'm a fan of the 35W generator not the 45W.  Cranking up the 35W is simple, so that even a mechanically challenged person such as I can start it at 2 a.m. in the morning.  The 45W seems more finicky.  It sometimes trips the circuit breakers when Ty Ty, Belove or Faisol switch it on, when the hospital and guesthouse both lose power from the Haitian Electrical Department ("EDH").  For three months, I have avoided the 45W like the plague. 

Two weeks ago, we lost power in the guesthouse.  (The hospital doesn't lose electricity when EDH power cuts out, because the hospital, unlike the guesthouse, is tied into a battery-backed storage system to provide uninterrupted power to the one story hospital wing.)  To make too long of a story shorter, I went down to the generator boxes and noticed that the switch was pointed to the 45W, so with my flashlight in my left hand, with my right I pulled the lever down to the 35W position.  Just then I heard a yell from the 45W shed that I was pretty sure was Ty Ty.  Then I heard the 45W generator kick in out back in the shed, followed by dead silence.  I waited 10 seconds or so, but didn't see Ty Ty coming out of the shed.  The security gate next to the generator switch boxes was locked, which meant that I had to take the long back way around a hospital building to check up on Ty Ty.  I thought he probably had been shocked real bad or worst when I threw the switch to 35W.  (Ty Ty knows I won't use the 45W). 

The 20 seconds or so it took me to get out back of the hospital was just enough time for me to try to remember how to do CPR.  Just as I thought, "No, only your kids are CPR certified" - because they have been Camp Mishawaka counselors - Ty Ty stepped out of the shadows.  I tried in Kreyol to explain that I thought I had made him "fe mal" or worse. In the dim light, I think he smiled.  He put his arm around my neck and walked with me back to the lobby.  Ty Ty gave me a big grin and a thumbs up as I crossed the lobby toward the stairs to the guesthouse floor.

I first learned that Ty Ty was the lead singer in a band when Carlos and I were out back of the hospital on April 29, loading sand bags on to a gurney as part of the sand bag brigade working late that Friday afternoon in anticipation of flooding in the area.  (Carlos definitely lifts weights) Photos 0103 and 0107 provide the answer to any question you may have about how successful the fifty or so sandbags were in holding back flood waters that weekend!

When they were practicing next to the 35W generator (which wasn't running of course), the band - Ty Ty on vocals, and keyboard and guitar players - and I'm not kidding about this, sounded somewhat like an unpolished version of Asleep At The Wheel, when I used to watch them on Austin City Limits.  Ty Ty's band had that same non-country Texas-style to the first two songs they rehearsed.  Then they switched to a song obviously intended for church.  Watson told me a few weeks ago that Ty Ty's band plays around town, including for churches such as Sainte Croix Episcopal Church.

Ty Ty is one of those rock solid people, serious but with good humor, who you always hope to meet when you find yourself in unfamiliar waters.  I have learned much from my friendship with him the past three months.  
  
There is a long and colorful list of people at the hospital who I have met the past three months.  I would be typing for hours were I to try and share even one story or impression about each of them. There is JoJo, the pharmacist; the nurse - whose name I don't know - who always greets me in English, and who is good friends with Jeannine;  Mr. Guey of course; and Belange, the best dressed driver in Leogane.  Dr. Memnon's assistant is Carleigh, who I will write about in the next note.  Prenell and Fontus are in the finance office.  I already have mentioned Faisol and Belove.  Zoe, who introduces himself though as Joseph, is the elder statesman of the non-medical staff of Sainte Croix.  Zoe loves the 45W.  Sammy is the equipment tech in the surgery department.

And there's Phillipe, who seems to be able to find a way to fix most of the things that break around the hospital and the guesthouse.  I now have taken five round trips to Port-au-Prince with Phillipe.  It seems as if he can't drive more than a 1/2 a mile in PaP without someone waving at him.  Carleigh has observed the same thing several times.  

Hopital Sainte Croix is the only low income hospital in Leogane.  If a patient cannot afford prescription medications that are available at the hospital, they are dispensed free of charge.  The charge for an out-patient clinic visit is very modest.  Jeannine's nephew was hospitalized in May, I think for one or two nights.  The charge was 500 gourdes - $12.50 U.S.

Sainte Croix is centered in outreach efforts taking place away from the hospital.  It provides an office for the Children's Nutritional Program headquartered in Leogane.  Numerous off-site clinics and public health programs administered in Leogane Commune originate at Hopital Sainte Croix.  The hospital's vehicles are made available to medical and dental mobile clinics teams from the U.S. who stay at the Sainte Croix Guesthouse.

Nursing students from the Episcopal Nursing College up the road in Belval have come to the hospital for training rounds and lectures just about every week that I have been here.  
I think Hopital Sainte Croix serves a very important role in the lives of the people of the Leogane Commune.  It is a beacon of hope for the community. 

I hope this note finds you and your loved ones in good health and spirits.
David
23 June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment