Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Notes From Leogane No. 2



Dear Family and Friends:

Much has happened since I wrote to you last Thursday, but tonight I would like to share with you just a few of the sights and sounds of Leogane.  Some of those impressions come from my 1 1/2 hour walk with Dr. Bob Sloane this past Saturday afternoon as he guided me around the neighboring area from the hospital that was within reasonable walking distance. 

I promise you will not be bothered with emails from me every 3 - 4 days over the next three months.  Rather, after Notes 1 - 4 between last Thursday and the end of next week, I would expect the frequency of my Notes to be no more than one every week, and perhaps less frequent from time to time.  By Notes 1 - 4, I hope to convey to you various first impressions about various aspects of life in Leogane.  Such first impressions of course need only be shared once.

Last Saturday, Bob Sloane - who was the Guesthouse Manager at HSC with his wife Robin for almost three months (and who arrived back in Ft Worth this past Sunday) - took me for a walk around Leogane, to meet some of my new neighbors and to take me to the various shops I will be doing business with through the end of June. 

The first neighbor Bob pointed out, though we didn't meet her, was the unique Madame Carmen.  Madame lives in a 15 ft. x 40 t. plywood shack (with metal roof) directly across from my 2nd floor room window at the Guesthouse.  Her home is painted lime green, with a fading picture of a Christmas tree on her front door.  Madame's home sits below three 2-story residences with separate living quarters on the first and second floors of each building.  So far, Madame has taken a seat on her chair in front of her house every day, usually by 7 a.m., in her light smock.  She somewhat holds court, conversing with various people as they pass by her on the way to work or to school, or because they need something at one of the shops near her place.  As with many Haitians I have meet in the last six days, it is not easy to judge Madame Carmen's age, in no small part because she is missing most of her teeth.  Madame could be 60 years old; she could be 40.  What I do know is that she is loved by her neighbors, the many people who befriend her every day, and the toddlers she tends to from time to time while she sits in her chair watching the world pass by.

Futbol, the beautiful game, is alive and well in Leogane.  Just two blocks from HSC Bob and I passed by a tent with about 30 metal chairs where the proprietor would be showing the Spanish League game between Barcelona ("Barca") and Villareal at 3 p.m., for a 10 gourdes cover charge.  ($1 U.S. = 40 gourdes).  I thought it best last Saturday afternoon to not blow off learning more from Bob about my Guesthouse Manager duties to cheer for Barca.  But, next Saturday afternoon may allow me an hour or so to watch another game for 10 gourdes.  My interpreter friend, Mario, advises me that there are a lot of Barca fans in Leogane because of Messi, from Argentina. His is Barca's top scorer. You may remember Lionel Messi from the last World Cup. He played for Argentina.

Bob stopped at the main hardware store in town, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Aiyati.  It is an impressive establishment.  For example, they sell motos, trenching equipment and other construction power equipment.  The building stands out proudly two blocks from Hopital Sainte Croix.  Mr. and Mrs. Aiyati named their business "Discipline" - which gives you an idea about why they believe they have built a successful enterprise in Leogane.

Dang it again.  Something is very finicky about this laptop tonight.  Maybe it's the influence of the music streaming into my window from the club on the corner.  Perhaps it's a not too subtle hint - don't be verbose.

With that last thought in mind, let me try to end with two more short asides from my walk with Bob.  When we came upon the site of the now leveled Catholic Church, Bob said it was magnificent with beautiful art work inside the church.  He said I would have cried had I known what the church looked like before January 2010.  The Catholics in the area of Leogane now attend services in a plywood open air building, with cloth sides and a tin roof.

But I do not want to leave you with the wrong impression.  After the earthquake, the Episcopal Bishop of Haiti, The Rt. Rev. Jean Zache Duracin, said, "Haiti, Get up and walk."  Leogane is starting to move into a stepped up pace of walking, perhaps a jog, in certain parts of the community.  Bob told me Sunday, while we drove the outer perimeter of the town - a town of 200,000 - that 20,000 people in Leogane were killed in the earthquake. But, 50% of the people of Leogane who lived in a "tent city" after the earthquake now are back to property where a new structure may be built in the near future.  At least that is the hope.

 I hope this Note finds you and your love ones safe and sound, and in good spirits.
Peace,
 David
April 5, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment