Friday, April 22, 2011

Notes From Leogane No. 5: Good Friday Stations of the Cross Procession



Dear Family and Friends:

Greetings from Leogane this Good Friday morning. For this Note, it is best to let the photographs do most of the talking. An hour ago, I suddenly heard voices in song approaching from the west; not far from the "new" temporary structure Catholic Church.  I rushed to the roof with my camera.



I was very moved by what I recognized as a Good Friday Stations of the Cross procession.  As I was leaning over the rood edge watching, I received a "thumbs up" sign from a group of young boys.  The smiles of 7-8 year olds speak a universal language.  I got a wave from below by Father Tom, a Catholic priest from the University of Notre Dame who came by yesterday to introduce himself.  (Fr. Tom works at the Filariasis Clinic next to the hospital.  Filariasis is a mosquito bites caused disease you may have heard referred to as elephantitis. Among other conditions, filariasis can cause extreme swelling of the lower extremities and chest areas of men and women, and significant enlargement of male testicles.)

The procession stopped in front of the hospital for about thirteen minutes of prayer and responsive readings at this station of the cross.  Though they were in Creole, I recognized parts of the prayers by their tempo and key words of the crowd's responses.  As an "Ave Marie" prayer was being chanted, I put down my camera.  I must admit to getting a bit misty eyed.



You may be able to see some of the worshipers kneeling on the ground, which they did for the entire stop at this station. I saw at least three worshipers kneeling on the dirt who, by my eye, were at least sixty years of age. Photos show the procession as it passed by the hospital. I hope this Note finds you and your loved ones in good health and spirits.
David
April 22, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment